Echolocation

In the book "See What I'm Saying" they discuss echolocation and how blind individuals use it to navigate. I found this truly amazing. Daniel Kish can be seen in this video riding a bike while making clicking sounds. The clicking sounds "bounce" off of near objects and Daniel can judge how close that object is by the reflected sound. He can also determine what kind of texture things are based off the sound waves he receives back. I've heard of echolocation before. I know that dolphins and bats use it but I never knew people could master it as well. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it for myself. I feel like it would be very difficult for a sighted person to master echolocation. Daniel has no other choice and his sense of hearing is probably great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sounds

Symmetry